My soon-to-be husband decided to step forward and get into the ring. On a fateful day that forever changed my life, he bellied up to the kitchen counter at my parent’s home and went “mano a mano” with the Macho Cuban padre himself.
Okay, maybe he didn’t exactly duel my dad, but he did ask for my hand in marriage.
How did it go? I asked nervously afterward.
My man smiled wickedly and mimicked by father’s slight accent to give me the play-by-play.
At one point, Papi had offered sage marital advice. “Bruce,” he prophetically proclaimed, “in marriage you have to learn to roll with the punches.”
I remember laughing at the irony. Frankly, I grew up in a house where he who screams loudest wins. This fighter was determined to step out of the ring and wave off the verbal punches.
What I failed to realize is that the punches we’d face would come rapid fire from a completely different opponent. Bruce and I would frequently face fierce opposition and don gloves as a dynamic duo.
The wallops kept coming. Suddenly, my dad’s pithy comment morphed into our combat plan.
We roll with the punches. Take that, anxiety. You won’t knock us down for the count. We know our way around the ring.
Maybe like me you feel like you’ve been sucker punched in the gut a few times too many. How do we stay standing when the hits keep coming?
Let’s weigh in and remember we’ve got the Undisputed Champion in our corner.
5 Ways to Fight Smart
- Stay in stride: If you don’t want to be a punching bag, you must learn to adapt to your environment, adjust quickly to the onslaught, and stay agile in your movements (Philippians 4:12-14; Romans 12:1-2; I Corinthians 9:24-27).
- Keep your opponent at arm’s length: Don’t get distracted. Stay untangled so that you are not vulnerable to attack (II Corinthians 10:3-5; Hebrews 12:1-3; II Timothy 2:4).
- Anticipate an oncoming blow: Practice your defensive moves daily to build your muscles. Pivot into prayer. Swing into the Scriptures (Romans 12:21; I Peter 3:15, Hebrews 4:12).
- Punch fear in the face: You can walk confidently to the center of the arena because God has armed you with His strength (Deuteronomy 3:2; II Timothy 1:7; Ephesians 6:10, Psalms 18:32).
- Determine to never give up: If you fall, get back up and stay at it. Remember there are many rounds to come, and the victory is sure (Deuteronomy 20:4; Romans 8:31; Isaiah 41:10, I John 4:4).
Our Defender will teach us to fight smart, roll with the punches, and stay standing.
Something to think about…
I’m sharing “Fight Smart” with like-minded friends at Faith-Filled Friday.
Have you written something thought-provoking, challenging, encouraging, or inspiring lately? Link it up here! For best results, write the title of your post in the name box. 🙂
As a courtesy, please link back to 3-D Lessons for Life in your post. Grab and share the Thought-Provoking Thursday button to spread the word. Use #ThoughtProvokingThursday to share your post and connect on Twitter.
Check back later to see what other GREAT posts have been linked up! Visit the post immediately before yours and leave an encouraging comment.