A year ago, Superman hung up his cape one last time after fighting an epic battle. His home-going was brutal and beautiful all at once. I miss the Man of Steel. He was a rare breed — a devoted family man, a mentor to his brothers, and a hard-working servant to his community.
On Saturday, fifty or so of his closest friends gathered to remember and to reflect. We sat in a tight knit circle forged by faith and friendship, and we told stories of Superman’s feats while here on earth.
Looking back at a life well lived causes you to examine your own life — to think about your legacy. Each time a brother or sister stood to tell a Superman tale, I picked up a nugget of wisdom of infinite value to this ordinary woman as she seeks to flesh out her faith in an increasingly troubled world.
Tonight, I wanted to share with you what I learned — because it would be selfish of me to keep this to myself.
Qualities of a Super Man
- Rather than look down with superiority, a Super Man will look you right in the eye like you matter to him. He will listen to you and remember you. He will seek you out to encourage you, even though you may be younger and weaker than he is.
- Rather than use his brute strength to live it up and party, a Super Man will work hard, save, and sacrifice. He is forward thinking, and he prepares for what might come tomorrow.
- Rather than tell you what you want to hear, a Super Man is a truth teller. He doesn’t care if you get mad at him — He is more concerned for your eternal destiny. He is passionate about pointing you in the right direction.
- Rather than accept defeat when the odds are great, a Super Man will persevere and stay the course. He will tap in to his heavenly Power Source and believe that a greater good is at work in his circumstances.
- Rather than whine and complain about dark times, a Super Man will focus on pouring his life into others. With every fiber of his being, he will impress upon them the importance of knowing the Truth and living it with reckless abandon.
I am so thankful that Superman and I crossed paths. I am looking forward to that glorious day soon when we will meet again on the other side.
Something to think about….
I’m sharing “Superman” with like-minded friends at Faith-Filled Friday.
Have you written something thought-provoking, challenging, encouraging, or inspiring lately? Link it up here! For best results, write the title of your post in the name box. 🙂
As a courtesy, please link back to 3-D Lessons for Life in your post. Grab and share the Thought-Provoking Thursday button to spread the word. Use #ThoughtProvokingThursday to share your post and connect on Twitter.
Check back later to see what other GREAT posts have been linked up! Visit the post immediately before yours and leave an encouraging comment.